Ever since our Independence, governments have incessantly attempted to make education accessible to students. As a country, our priority has not changed quite a lot however, our areas of focus have. While initially, it was about creating the infrastructure for the propagation of education all over the country, now it stands to be offering options that make education accessible to students nationwide.
In an attempt to make it easier to get to schools, the government of West Bengal initiated the Sabooj Sathi scheme.
What is the Sabooj Sathi scheme?
The Sabooj Sathi scheme is a state government scheme initiated by the government of West Bengal which aims at the distribution of bicycles to roughly about 40 lakh students from Grade 9 to Grade 12 studying in Government run and government-aided schools and Madarsas.
The objective of the scheme
The overarching objective of the scheme is to make education accessible to the students so that they do not have to waste too much time just travelling to school – time which could otherwise be used a lot more productively.
Another important objective of the scheme is to empower students, especially girls, who find it difficult to travel to school as they have to rely on family members to drop them at their respective educational institutes.
With the Sabooj scheme in place, female students can now attend school a lot regularly which effectively acts on the dropout ratio and ensures that they do not drop out of schools because of transportation reasons.
How to apply for the WB Sabooj Sathi Scheme 2020?
- Visit the official website of the Sabooj Sathi Scheme: https://wbsaboojsathi.gov.in/v2/
- On the homepage, there will be a section titled “Quick links”. The option will appear to be as shown herewith:
- The applicant has to now click on the option called “Students corner”
- The student would then have to fill in the details that appear on the Student login page
- The applicant would then have to enter the necessary details
- Click on the login button for login at the official web portal
Eligibility criteria to benefit from the WB Sabooj Sathi scheme
To avail the benefits of the scheme, the applicant has to meet the following criteria
- The applicant has to be a permanent resident of West Bengal
- The student who is applying for the scheme should be studying in Class 9-Class 12
- The scheme will offer benefits for both boys and girls irrespective of their caste, religion or locality within the state of West Bengal.
Documents needed to apply for the scheme
In order to apply for the West Bengal Sabooj Sathi scheme, the following documents need to be kept in place so that the process goes by seamlessly.
- Address proof – to prove that the applicant is a resident of West Bengal
- Aadhaar card – which serves as a Photo ID proof.
With this scheme in place, the students find it increasingly easier to reach out to their educational institutes. The WB government, with the help of this scheme, ensures that no student misses out on the larger benefits of attaining sound education.