Economically weaker families tend to look at marriages as something of a burden and not as a union of souls in the spirit of matrimony. And their fears are not irrational, to say the least, because as we all are aware, marriages are quite expensive and what are weddings if not an extravagant display of one’s economic status?
What is the Shadi Anudan Yojana?
Under the scheme, the Uttar Pradesh government will offer financial assistance to families from economically weaker sections of the society who are wishing for their daughters to get married with societal standards of dignity and make it a really celebratory event for all attendees.
The scheme will cover those families from the scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, minorities, economically weaker general classes, other backward classes, etc.
The basic agenda of the scheme is to change the traditional attitude people have held about the girl child; to change it to something that does not frown at the birth of a girl just because her marriage will have to be paid for.
Benefits of the Shadi Anudan Yojana
Under the benefits of the Shadi Anudan Yojana, these are included:
- This scheme will benefit all daughters of poor families across the state of Uttar Pradesh.
- Under the Marriage Grant Scheme of 2020, the state government will provide financial assistance for the marriage of girls belonging to scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, minorities, other backward classes, etc.
- Through the scheme, the regressive attitude of families in Uttar Pradesh towards the girl child is expected to change.
- With increasing digitization, the scheme has gotten digital for those who wish to apply for the scheme online as well.
What are the eligibility criteria to avail of benefits under the Shadi Anudan Yojana?
Here are some criteria needed to adhere to in order to avail the benefits of the scheme:
- The applicant should be a permanent resident of Uttar Pradesh.
- The people belonging to backward classes will be eligible for the benefits of the scheme.
- The income of the family of the beneficiary in rural areas should be ₹46,080 and the income of the beneficiary’s family in urban areas should be ₹56,460.
- Under the scheme, at the time of marriage, the girl’s age should be 18 years minimum and the boy’s age should be 21 years minimum.
Documents needed for the scheme?
- Aadhaar card
- Caste certificate
- Income certificate
- Bank account details
- Mobile number
- Applicant’s marriage certificate
- Passport size photos
- Applicant’s ID card
How to apply for the scheme?
- Visit the official website of the scheme. On visiting the website, the home page will load.
- On the homepage, there will be a registration option, which will give the applicant further caste options to choose from.
- On clicking the option, the application form will open. All information asked in the form like applicant’s name, aadhaar number, daughter’s wedding date, etc needs to be filled here.
- On filling in all information, the applicant has to click on the submit button and print out the application form and secure it for future purposes.
The government of Uttar Pradesh intends to take away the financial burden that comes with marriage so that marriage is celebrated for what it really is – a union of two souls – and nothing else.