Unorganized sector workers are usually those who face the brunt of financial disparity the most. They barely have enough money to make it safely to the end of the month. They constitute about 93% of the total labour force in the nation and therefore the government has taken steps to ensure their social security and well-being.
About the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
The RSBY is basically a welfare scheme launched by the Ministry of Labour and Employment by the Government of India. It provides health insurance covers specifically to workers from the Below Poverty Line. The primary objective of the scheme is to provide financial support to those BPL households who are dealing with health issues that require hospitalization.
Eligibility for the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
In order to be a beneficiary of the scheme, here are the eligibilities that need to be abided by:
- The applicant must be a worker from the Below Poverty Line segment and should have documented proof reflecting the same
- It will be the implementing agency’s responsibility to verify the eligibility of the unorganized sector worker and the family members who would be proposed to benefit from the scheme
- In order to avail of the benefits of the scheme, the agency will issue a smart card for the purpose of identification.
- The unorganized sector worker and his family (a unit of five) will be covered by the scheme
- A total sum amount of ₹30,000 per family per annum would be provided on a family floater basis
- Cashless attendance to all ailments covered by the scheme
- All pre-existing conditions of the worker will be covered
- Transportation costs within an overall limit of ₹1000 will be covered