Weddings can be quite an expensive undertaking. Especially in times like these, when incomes are limited and wedding plans have already taken a detour, people who intend to get married are already seeming to function on a deficit. In order to conduct marriages a whole lot feasibly, sans the expenses, mass marriages came up as a solution. Now, mass marriages will be performed twice every month to avoid crowds and to abide by social distancing norms.
The Karnataka government has fixed new muhurats on the 15th and 20th of January 2021 and on the 20th and 23rd of February 2021.
Prior to this, the plan was to conduct a mass wedding twice in just a single year. However, in the light of the mess created by the Covid-19 pandemic outbreak, the Karnataka government has decided to hold it twice each month, starting from January 2021. This is so that the crowds get dispersed over the months.
What would be the Assistance amount offered by the Saptapadi Vivah yojana?
Here is a split-up of the amount each couple would receive on their wedding under the government scheme for mass marriage in Karnataka state:
- Bridegroom – the groom would receive a shirt, dhoti, and ₹5,000 in cash/
- Bride – saree and ₹1,000 in cash and 8 gm of Gold for the Mangalya or the mangalsutra.
- A sum of ₹55,000 – a total sum of ₹55,000 will be offered to the bride and groom under the Karnataka Saptapadi Vivah Yojana 2020-21.
The sum of ₹55,000 would be offered to the temples to buy things needed for the marriage ceremony.
What are the eligibility criteria for the Karnataka Saptapadi Vivah Yojana?
The applicants must fulfill the following eligibility criteria to avail of the assistance amount under the Karnataka Saptapadi Vivah Yojana 2020-21.
- The applicant must be a permanent resident of Karnataka state.
- Only specific temples that are shortlisted to conduct mass marriages will receive the sum to conduct the marriage.
- Both parents of the couple should attend the ceremony if the couple wishes to avail the financial assistance provided.
- Couples willing to get married against their parents’ permissions will not be considered eligible for the wedding.
- Those wishing to opt for love marriage are not considered eligible to avail of the benefits of the Saptapadi yojana.
Registration for the Yojana
Couples who wish to tie the knot are expected to ideally register themselves 30 days before the scheduled date of the marriage given out by the temple. Afterward, a list of all eligible couples will be prepared.
At the marriage venue, all Covid-19 protocols will be followed. As of now, only the parents of the bride and groom are offered an allowance to witness the mass wedding.
The CM of Karnataka has confirmed that the government will also help communities like the Muslims and Christians to organize mass marriages as per their respective rights and rituals as well.
Marriages, over the years, have become more than just a union of souls. It is a celebration of people vowing to stay together forever. And with this scheme in place, the government of Karnataka is ensuring that people have the right means to celebrate their wedding.