The Jammu and Kashmir administration is now accepting applications for Domicile certificates. The Union Territory government has initiated the process of offering domicile certificates to those who have been living in Jammu and Kashmir for more than 15 years. Interested applicants who are eligible for the certificate can now apply for the certificate online.
Children of West Pakistan refugees, the Valmikis, displaced families, PoK families, and Kashmiri migrants who have settled outside of Jammu and Kashmir and those living there for 15 years apart from the kin of Central government officials will now be considered eligible for the domicile.
As you are aware, the domicile is an important document and opens avenues for residents to avail several governmental benefits.
As per the Domicile Act of 2020, people of Jammu and Kashmir who have been belonging to different sections, and who have been residing in the Union Territory for the last seven decades were deprived of their legitimate citizenship rights and would now, finally, be issued a domicile certificate.
How to apply online for the Jammu and Kashmir domicile certificate?
If you hail from Jammu and Kashmir and have always wanted a domicile certificate, you can get so by applying online. Here is how you can go about it.
- All the new users will now have to click on the “Citizen registration” link and a registration form will open up as shown below:
- The citizen is expected to fill in the form by filling in registration details, residential/current address, mobile number, email ID, log in details, etc. The applicant is also expected to upload a passport size scan photo (only in jpg format) against a white background not exceeding the upload size of 50kb. The acceptable photo size in pixels should be 591✕537 px.
- The applicant would be expected to cross verify the information and then finally hit the submit button to complete the registration process. The login ID and password will be provided which needs to be printed for future reference.
- Once the registration is complete, the applicant will have to log in using the login ID and password generated
- After login, the applicant has to click on the E-services tab in the left menu and then on the General Administration department link, and finally on the Application for Domicile certificate. The below image will help you with its appearance.
- The last step would be to fill in all details in the opened application form and submit it online to get the domicile certificate in Jammu and Kashmir.
Wrapping this up
In order to avail a domicile certificate, without having to leave the confines of your house especially during the pandemic, the Union territory has come up with an ingenious step. People can now apply for their domicile certificate with relative ease. Digitization of procedures not only makes matters convenient for people but also adds several layers of online security that ensure the safety of residents’ identities stored across databases online.