This initiative was launched by The Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY), Govt of India in the year 2015 with the purpose of digitization of documents, which is a part of the Digital India program. It is a digital platform for storage and issuance of important documents like Voter’s ID, school certificates, PAN card and many others from Govt registered issuers.
- The DigiLocker is in the form of a web portal and an application downloadable in mobiles for easy access.
- It provides cloud storage to resident users who sign up to use the platform.
- It has got Access Gateway through which real-time access to authentic documents from Govt registered issuers is made possible.
- It also has the option for resident users to put an e-signature on their documents.
- Users can also upload scanned copies of their documents.
- The issuer authority sends a link of the requested document to the requester, with the consent of the resident user.
Benefits of Digi-locker
- The use of DigiLocker has the potential to reduce the burden of physical documents.
- It has the capacity to digitize information so that we can look forward to a paperless documentation system.
- The Digi-locker helps to never lose documents reducing the chances of applying for duplicate documents.
- It helps in also reducing the resident user to go through a tedious process of procuring authentic documents from Govt authorities and delivering it to the requester entity.
- It helps in sharing digital documents across authorities and agencies.
- It is a secure digital platform for sharing documents between issuers and requester agencies with verification and consent of the resident user.