This pandemic has really taught governments all around the world a lot of things. This does not exclude state governments as well, solely because at the most basic level it is the state who has suffered losses due to the dip in economy and unemployment. This has eventually affected national economy pushing India in what seems to be a sorry state of economic affairs.
Staring in the face of hopelessness
While all chips seem to be down at the moment, the Government of India is striving to make amends. One such attempt at rejuvenation in one of the worst affected states is in Uttar Pradesh – where PM Narendra Modi has launched the Atma Nirbhar Uttar Pradesh Rojgar Abhiyan which is basically a ‘Self-reliant Uttar Pradesh Employment Campaign’.
About the Campaign
The employment campaign was launched on Friday, 26th June 2020 and promises to offer more than 1 crore migrant workers some form of self-sufficiency through employment. This is solely because labourers have had to return from their jobs from over 116 districts and 6 metro states, where they would work and earn a livelihood for themselves.
These migrant labourers are now battling unemployment and struggling to make ends meet. In order to offer respite to these labourers, the government has earmarked a budget of ₹50,000 crores.
Salient features of the campaign
- Round about 32,300 Gram Panchayats across 31 districts of Uttar Pradesh has been included in the scheme.
- The scheme aims to make provisions for over 30 lakh migrant labourers. Skill mapping is underway to determine which work to offer to whom.
- Not just migrant labourers but also local labourers and workers will be included in the scheme.
- The UP government also includes the MGNREGA and MSMEs in this campaign.
- In order to benefit from the scheme, the applicant has to apply for and this can be done through contacting local administration.