The Andhra Government has been at the forefront of innovation when it comes to helping out the poor in the state. Recent efforts on behalf of the state government have included offering financial assistance and job opportunities to the poor – especially those who have suffered from the unfavourable consequences of lockdowns imposed last year; the tremors of which are felt even now.
In a long list of schemes implemented by the Andhra government, there has been a newer addition in the form of the Andhra Pradesh YSR Jagananna Palle Velugu scheme.
About the Andhra Pradesh Jagananna Palle Velugu scheme
For the longest time, rural streets in Andhra have plunged into pitch darkness at the very onset of dusk. This makes it very difficult for returning employees to navigate their way home and also makes it incredibly unsafe for women. To make matters brighter, the Andhra government intends to install four lakh LED street lights in around 2,000 habitations across the entire state.
The main goal of the project is environmental protection, reduction of so-called “dark spots” in Andhra Pradesh and also ensuring women safety, which is a by-product of well-lit streets.
To further increase the efficiency of the scheme, the government also intends to install a Complaint Monitoring system.
Benefits ushered in by the implementation of the scheme
The government of Andhra will aim to install four lakh street lights across 2,000 rural habitations. Here are some of the benefits that come along with installing LED lights across the state:
- The LED lights depreciate at a much slower rate than other alternatives available in the market.
- These LED lights do not have tungsten filaments. Hence, they do not burn out quickly and have long lives.
- There are no toxins like mercury in LED lights.
- Considering how they do not have toxins or complicated mechanisms, these lights are less likely to require regular maintenance, and also leads to lesser heat production.
- The lights would thereby consume the least amount of electricity in comparison with other lights and also offer appropriate lighting on the streets which would offer further safety for women on the roads.
- The new LED lights will have improved colour rendering options as opposed to traditional lighting options available.
There will, in addition to the above, also be a Complaint Monitoring System made available to the masses. This came into the picture simply because the result of a local survey suggested that 80% of the public representatives expressed dissatisfaction over the maintenance of the street lights that have already been installed, and over the years have reached dilapidated conditions.
Summing it up
In the long run, this makes streets incredibly safer for all, as a well-lit street adds in the element of clarity and certainty, which is what makes the way back home feel safe.
There have been criminals who have, for quite some years now, made use of these dark pockets to carry out heinous crimes. With better illumination offered, people will be in a better position to defend themselves.